Killarney~The Town in the Park




Well I guess I’m still reveling in this gig called “turning 70!”  After a full day of travel from Las Vegas to Newark and onto Dublin, I caught the train to Killarney and arrived the next day about 2:30 PM. 

Open arms awaited me at Murphy’s where I’ve stayed for many years now. It’s warm and welcoming and like the show “Cheers” everyone knows my name. I can’t imagine staying anywhere else.

Murphy’s is in the center of town, I can walk to everywhere I want to go so it’s nice not having a car. I would recommend a stay there if you go to Killarney, trust me, you’ll love it. The pub is just off the lobby and the food is very good.

My room was ready, and to my surprise, there was a bucket of ice, with a small bottle of champagne waiting for me,  a beautiful card saying, “Happy Birthday” and chocolates, what can I say? 

 I had my first full day all planned out for the next morning. I would get up for 8AM Mass at the Friary across the street, then back to Murphy’s for my full Irish breakfast, and then a yoga class at 11 at Jenny’s house.

I met Jenny a couple years ago, she is from Chili and holds a beautiful yoga practice in her home. Have a look at her website on Facebook, “Sense of Yoga, Ireland," an inspirational young woman indeed.  

I’ve had this same routine for a long time now whenever I come to Killarney. This time, after yoga my plan was to meet Eileen, my beautiful Irish poet friend for a walk and lunch. 

Fast forward now to waking up at 8:45 AM. Mass was pretty much over and I was sure Maureen at the front desk was wondering why she hadn’t seen me yet. Everyone is great that way, they have a lovely way of looking after me. 

 The pub was full when I walked in for breakfast that morning about 9:30. There were two big tables of "the Irish" as they say, and they were having a heck of a good time. 

 I ordered the full Irish breakfast and pulled out my notebook, it was obvious these Irish lads were going to provide for some good writing.

Killarney has become the “go to” place for a 3~ 4 day holiday for the Irish, from other parts, maybe Tipperary or Dublin.  I noticed they were having the full Irish breakfast as well but when their plates were cleared away, over came the pints.

Now that’s interesting I thought, I wonder what the difference in calories is. At home we may have the pancake or French toast but never a pint at 10AM.  I’ll have to look up the calories. and see if I’m making the right choice here.

Now while I was eating I realized the walk up Muckross Road for Yoga did not thrill me as it has in previous visits. The thought of writing and relaxing before seeing Eileen this afternoon sounded so much better.

I mean think about it. Why do I need to practice yoga today?  I’m 70 right?
I have to admit I’m enjoying this slower pace, was thankful actually, I had overslept and missed mass.

I sent Jenny a message telling here I wouldn’t be at the 11 O’clock class but would love to take a walk at the Blue Pond if she was free another day. Last time I was here, she introduced me to a beautiful spot at the Killarney National Park and we walked through the woods, listened to the streams and did some energy work.

“Energy work” is one of those modalities if you will, that has become known in the world of ‘Health and Wellness.’ Essentially, when one feels unbalanced either physically, emotionally, or mentally, sitting in nature, can aid in bringing the body back into alignment.  

While I wasn’t feeling physically, emotionally or mentally unbalanced necessarily, I have to say I was plain tired. I was thinking that sitting on a big rock, listening to the gurgling stream and the sound of the breeze whistling through the trees was more my speed that day after the long day of travel the day before.   

So now that I missed mass and decided not to do yoga, Eileen came earlier and we took the most magnificent walk in the Killarney National Park. 

We took the tour of the “Killarney House.” The Killarney House sits majestic at the entrance to the park. Two years ago, when I was here, it was under construction. It has had a 7 Million Euro renovation and the history of the McShain family, the last family to live there is very interesting.

John McShain was at one time the third-largest general contractor in the US. He was responsible for the reconstruction of the White House, the building of the Jefferson Memorial, the Pentagon and the John F Kennedy Centre for the Performing Arts in Washington DC.  

Over the years, he and his wife Mary, started visiting Ireland and purchased the Killarney House in 1956. They sold the house to the Irish state in 1978 but reserved the house and surrounding gardens for their use until they both passed away.

If you’re ever in the Killarney area it is a must ~see. The gardens are beautifully kept and poses as such a stunning gateway into the Killarney National Park. There is a tour that is open to the public for free of the three main rooms, the dining room, living room /library and the drawing room. The upper level is also free as an interpretive Center for the National Park.  

As you walk through the center, the history of Killarney is explained via large video screens, photography and quotes and sayings from the Irish poets and writers. All while you listen to the most hauntingly gorgeous Irish music. It really does take your breath away.

Watching and hearing how its landscape has been shaped from the mountains, the water and from the ice so many thousands of years ago was amazing to say the least. I say put it on your list of places to see.

I do have so much more to write about and tell you but I’m going to send this off for now.
Oh I did look up the calorie count for the Full Irish breakfast and the pint

            Fried full Irish breakfast ~1362
            Grilled full Irish breakfast 1042
            1 pint draught Guinness ~125 calories
      
       Every night when I go to bed, I say, “tomorrow, I’ll just have the oatmeal.
      
       It just does not happen. The Full Irish wins out every time. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sydney Australia!

The Ireland I Know